Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Reminiscing New Life


"I changed a diaper today and fed a newborn. I love paediatrics." ~ Facebook status. Not mine.

I'm not a big fan of paediatrics. In fact, once upon a time, I wanted to do paediatrics. 40 hours of volunteering on the paediatric ward prior to applying to medical school and I knew it was not something I wanted to do...anymore. After spending a 4 week rotation on paediatrics...it's not...awful.

Regardless, that Facebook status made me recall my time on Obstetrics & Gynaecology delivering babies. On our paediatrics rotation, we spend some time on the neonate ward...examining babies and getting little activities signed off our little procedure cards, like changing a diaper and feeding. The thought of examining babies brought back memories of examining babies just as they had popped out of their mommas.

And then, it hit me.

I brought lives into the world. Me!
Birth isn't pretty. This one actually looks pretty good though.
I know I'm about 2 months late on this realisation, but I've reached it nonetheless. I was just suddenly overwhelmed by the emotion of having aided a new life in its entry into the modern world of light, colour, temperature, sounds and food. This did register with me before, but I never really sat down to think about it. At the time, I was merely concerned with getting all my signatures for all my deliveries. I didn't stop to smell the roses, so to speak.

Now that I've found the time to reminisce on those experiences, I'm in as much awe in myself as everyone else. 

*Pats self on back*

No comments: