Thursday, May 21, 2009

Reality

"I only believe in what I can see. Once I can see it and feel it, it's real."

Ever heard people say that before? It's often said with reference to the concept of religion, but that's not what I'm getting at here.

"There are alternate realities. Parallel universes."

Recently, I've been watching shows that have been using this idea. Well, just 2 shows really: an anime and a TV show. Both rather interesting.

The show: Fringe

This is an amazing show that I find incredibly interesting. I'll admit, there are some things that can be slightly disgusting to some people but slightly interesting to others. I have a friend who got pretty grossed out and thought it was scary when she saw what I assume was part of the first episode of Fringe. Strange, considering that she's studying to be a doctor and I couldn't recall anything scary or gross from the first episode in comparison to the rest. Such a shame.

Well, onto the alternate reality bit of the show. It mostly happens in the last few episodes of the season. So if you don't wanna read, then...don't. =] They were explaining the concepts of there being alternate realities and the déjà vu experience. Dr. Bishop's explanation was that we experience déjà vu because, in another reality, it did happen to us. Every decision presented to us gives options. We may choose one option while in another world/reality, we choose the other option. And each choice presents with another choice and another and another and it continues like that. That's the basic gist of the whole alternate reality thing.

The anime: Noein ~Mou Hitori no Kimi e~
 
This is basically an anime about Quantum Physics. The whole concept of the anime is pretty simple and easy to follow, whether you do or don't know anything about physics. 

I was actually watching this before I started catching up on Fringe. The concept is more or less the same as what I previously explained for Fringe, except for the déjà vu part. There was no mention of déjà vu. It was slightly more complex in the anime though, with the future and the past and alternate realities being all mixed up. The word used in the anime was "timespaces" and there are some "timespaces" that are similar, while others are very different, based on the choices that are made in each one. As I said, each choice is followed up with another and another and continues branching out in such a way that there are an infinite number of "timespaces"...an infinite number of possible realities.

Short summary: A world known as Shangri-La is trying to merge all timespaces in to one. In the present timespace that the anime takes place in, a team known as the "Dragon Knights" come from a future timespace in order to obtain what is known as the "Dragon Torque". The dragon torque is the key that can either destroy all the timespaces or save them.

In just 3 days, this whole alternate reality thing has been bombarding me and I can't help but wonder why.

Maybe in some other world, this blog does not exist.
=]

2 comments:

*~Neesh~* said...

nice post! Yeaa, the thought of an alternate reality is really mind-boggling...and Fringe.. i lovee itt!

Mario said...

I got a few episodes of Fringe from Ismail, watched the first one which was ok but i never had the time to see the others. I guess stuff like time travel and alernate dimensions etc don't exactly make me drool. oh well fun for u guys. ^_^