Friday, February 19, 2010

Drought?

I'm sure I've mentioned this numerous times before. But for those who don't know:

I hate living in Barbados.


Why? Because it's hot, among other things. The heat makes me lethargic and irritable. I hate always feeling like I want to sleep because my body is heating up and my brain becomes tired and unable to concentrate on the task at hand. Today was one perfect example.

How is it that all of a sudden it started feeling like 50 degrees Celsius outside and my house just spontaneously turned into an oven? At this time of the year the sun is usually "cooler" so the temperatures actually feel like the 30 degrees or so that the thermometer claims. As a result, I've never turned on the AC unit in my house during the months of December to March or even April. Not today. Today, the air condition was turned on and set to the lowest temperature. Because I couldn't take it anymore.

The hottest temperatures are really felt from September to November but today felt like a typical July day. Insane.

Ah yes. Did I mention that it hasn't rained in over two weeks? At least not where I'm living. We've had to water down the gardens everyday. It's so sad to see. The soil was so thirsty and cracked in just a single day. And today the water pressure is so low. Of course, to say Barbados is experiencing a period of drought can't quite be accurate, can it? After all, it is a small island surrounded by miles of miles of ocean. We may not have rain, but we sure have lots of water around. Well, I believe it would be more accurate to say we're having ourselves a little dry spell.

The sun doesn't look so cute in real life. In fact, it is my belief that it is much like a mean old man looking to share his heated anger with the world.

I can't wait for the opportunity to move away to a more favourable climate for my body. Because this isn't gonna work for me for the rest of my life. Certainly not.

No comments: