Monday, January 10, 2011

Day One

It's all fun and games until it's real-life.

My feet hurt. My back hurts. I'm sleepy. I have case notes to write up and present tomorrow, so I'm told. I have stuff to read up on. I'm sleepy.

To summarise my first day in real-life medicine (surgery clerkship):
I attended an occupational health workshop in which I learnt to properly wash my hands.
Due to the workshop ending at 12:30 pm, I had to rush to the hospital to meet with my surgery clerkship coordinator at 1:00 pm. No lunch. No snacks. Nothing since breakfast at 8:00 am.
I met a couple of persons on the surgical team to which I was assigned. I discovered my team is on call.
I removed sutures and observed a urinary catheterisation and IV set up.
I missed the usual dinner time and still had no snacks. No solid food since breakfast at 8:00 am.
I watched and recorded an intern clerk a patient.
I stared at two patient X-ray films and tried to decipher them.
I left the hospital at 9:30 pm, arrived home and ate at 9:50 pm, finally.

Honestly, I'm surprised I even made it through the day with nothing but breakfast and some occasional sips of water. See how important they must be? And I was walking up and down between 3 floors all afternoon too. Between the wards and A & E. Maybe tomorrow, if I find time, I can be more detailed with my thoughts. Anyways, that's the day in a nutshell. I may have said this before: I'm sleepy.

Now, I have to go write up some case from today and head to bed. I'll have to save the fun reads till tomorrow, you know, before post-call ward rounds at 7:30 am.

Ah boy, did I mention that I'm sleepy?

2 comments:

Mario said...

i bet u needed a hug but it didn't sound too too bad really.

Amy said...

Ha. When you've never had any clinical exposure and weren't taught to do examinations and take a history (which you will have the luxury to, so don't worry) and you all of a sudden find out you're on call on your first day...unprepared...go without food for 13 hours with only cereal for breakfast to supply you...you tell me it doesn't sound too bad.