Sunday, April 18, 2010

Qinghai Earthquake

Have you heard of it?

If I didn't watch CCTV9, I wouldn't have known
about it. I don't watch much TV but my Mom watches CNN on occasion and she never heard anything about it there or on the BBC. But we did find out on CCTV9. Why is it that it hasn't been broadcasted worldwide? Or has it? We haven't heard about the news elsewhere.

The Qinghai Province of China was hit on Wednesday April 14 by an earthquake of magnitude 7.1 followed by 18 aftershocks measured over 6.0.

The death toll has been rising as the days pass and currently stands at 1706. Over 200 people are still missing. Tents for shelter were erected in time for survivors to make it through a snow storm that occurred on Saturday. Yushu County has been disinfected as a preventative measure against disease.
Various countries have been expressing their support and condolences to the victims of the earthquake and South Korea has offered US $1 million in emergency relief aid and relief supplies.

As always, my prayers are with the victims of this devastating earthquake. I know China is a strong nation and is already well on its way to recovery.
[Images from CCTV]

1 comment:

Mario said...

-sigh- the number of earthquakes is scaring me since this is meant as a sign of the coming judgement day according to the bible. I know i'm not right with God yet but time is running out as well. :( so many things are on my mind.