Sunday, April 4, 2010

Happy Easter!

'nough said.

I'm continuously grateful to God for sending a gift as wonderful as His son and to His son, Jesus, who died for our sins.

Have you ever wondered where the Easter bunny, chocolate eggs and little yellow chicks came from? I didn't. I'm the kind of person who doesn't wonder why things are the way they are and just take them as they come. Probably not the best thing. Regardless, I recently discovered that all the fluffy, chocolatey stuff came from pagan roots that probably go as far back as the 13th century in Germany.
  • The cute furry little bunny: Eostra, the Teutonic deity, was the goddess of spring and fertility. Her symbol was the rabbit since it has a high reproductive rate.
  • The eggs: spring = new life and rebirth so eggs = fertility.
  • The chicks: bunnies don't make eggs. But chickens do!
Chocolate eggs? That just developed as time went by.

No matter how you celebrate, I wish you all a very
Happy Easter!

3 comments:

Mario said...

now that you have posted this entry, what i find most interesting is "I'm continuously grateful to God for sending a gift as wonderful as His son and to His son, Jesus, who died for our sins". I assume you do believe in God which i'm really happy about and wondering how deep into christianity would you actually go. i checked the other blog and the shakespeare entry was a total...bore...i wish i loved his stuff just so i could say "yay!!!, i enjoyed that" instead of just filtering through it. But oh well i'm sure other readers do like.
Would also like to ask if you know the price of heartgold and diamond from sunil. i ordered a silver Dslite from Bestbuy.

Amy said...

Yes, I am a Christian. Did you not know? I don't go to church though, because I haven't been comfortable in any that I've been to. But I do celebrate the life and death of Jesus Christ. For now, I pretty much consider listening to and watching Joel Osteen my church. =)

lol I liked Shakespeare! And I enjoyed MacBeth in English Lit. =D I still don't know where I went wrong on the CXC =[ I found it more entertaining because of how it relates medically. Teehee.

I'll ask Sunil about the price of HeartGold/SoulSilver. Which of the two do you want?

Mario said...

i'd like the HeartGold thank you and i would also like to purchase Diamond as long as the prices are reasonable.
Lovely!!! i didn't know you were a christian, let alone believed in any type of religion at all!!!! But i'm super glad u are. :)
And about the church thing, i totally know what u mean since the church i used to go to really makes me sick. It's just lots of chaos. I haven't been baptised yet because i believe that's a very serious step!!! i have to be prepared to halt all worldly ways and be committed. i'm not that ready yet tho but soon enough hopefully!!