Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Labs Are Fun!

Today, we did a lab about Alcohol. The experiment involved the students this time around and we had to consume alcohol. It was a pretty fun lab too, not only because some people got to drink but also because it was quite entertaining to see how people were after the consumption.

The lab was for the central nervous system course we're doing this semester so it was to see how alcohol affects the central nervous system in individuals, testing memory and psychomotor skills. I volunteered to drink the sherry (18% alc.). I'm not really a drinker...I'm not the biggest fan of alcohol but I'll have a little every now and again. I've never had sherry before. It's a really nice drink though. Nice and sweet.

My motor skills improved slightly, funny enough. The same went for my memory. Although there were other factors that contributed to the memory portion of the experiment: the lab got quite noisy so it was hard to concentrate on 6 two-set numbers to remember and recall. Oh well.

I also discovered that Asians and Caucasians tend to metabolise alcohol more slowly than others. So, they tend to have a lower tolerance to alcohol. I'm not entirely sure why but I think it has something to do with the liver enzymes.

On my way to the car today, I couldn't help pulling out my phone and snapping a photo (the one you see above). It's quite nice, isn't it? I love the quality of images that I can get with my cell.

I can't believe tomorrow's the start of April! Imagine that, it's April already! I feel like I got back from Hong Kong just a few weeks ago. Time really does fly, huh?

3 comments:

Mario said...

hmmm i don't enjoy consuming ethanol either and mr. lashley sure does discourage it. oh well at least it was for a lab ^_^ fun fun

Amy said...

lol of course Mr. Lashley would discourage it! Any adult in their right mind would! haha. Yea it was indeed quite fun. And I got to see how alcohol affect my brain. =D The effects were quite appealing...since everything improved. Any more alcohol, though, and I probably would have decreased in everything. lol

Amy said...

Oh goodness! I'm so sorry, Mario! I think I deleted your comment on "The Best Lecturers?". I thought I posted three times (because that's what I saw) but so I deleted the two repeats. When I checked back, It turns out I deleted yours and mine. I don't get it =s but oh well. Sorry about that!